We all get that October is the best fall month for outdoor activities. November has rights to Thanksgiving and December doesn’t consider itself a fall month even though winter doesn’t officially start until December 21st. Here are some fun things to do with the family before it’s gets too cold.
1. Fall Festivities & Fireworks at Orr Family Farm: The Orr Family Farm has a lot of fun activities this month. I’m not embarrassed to say I visit this place every year, and I don’t even have kids. Check out the corn maze, the pumpkin patch, hayrides, cannon blasters and the fireworks show every Friday and Saturday in October. Farm attractions close at 8:45 p.m. Fireworks begin at 9 p.m.
2. American Craft Week: American Craft Week is an opportunity to celebrate American artists as they share their amazing hand-made decorative crafts. This is the first time American Craft Week makes its appearance on Paseo in Oklahoma. If you love hand-made art, you have until October 14 to make your way over to the Paseo Arts District.
3. Pumpkinville at Myriad Gardens: Pumpkinville is a celebration of pumpkins, harvest and all things fall. Thousands of pumpkins will fill the Children’s Garden along with crafts, games and more. Each weekend (Oct. 7 – Oct. 23) families can enjoy a variety of activities and entertainment including story time, cider tastings and lots of rides.
4. Oklahoma City Disc Dogs: Head over to the Bethany Library on Oct. 15 for some tail waggin' fun. There will be a FREE performance from the Oklahoma City Disc Dogs! Enjoy this one-of-a-kind, interactive show (appropriate all ages) featuring world-qualifying dogs doing wild and fun tricks. (3510 N Mueller Ave. from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.)
5. Storybook Forest at Arcadia Lake: Fairytales come to life on a fun, not scary trail filled with roaming characters. Children and families can also enjoy hayrides, games and a campfire for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. Oct. 23 – Oct. 30 from 5:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Price: $8 on weekdays and $10 on weekends.
Bonus: Eats on 8th & Harvey is a free, monthly family-friendly food truck festival that offers some of the finest gourmet foods in Oklahoma City. Held on the last Friday of each month from March to November, these monthly food truck festivals also include unique pop-up shops, live music, the Kidz Zone, informational booths and more.
Enjoy October, Richard Mills